Or the art of dealing with leftovers… A leftover sauce, in this case the "citrus-safran" sauce I made for the coated sole fillets. By the way, in the comments on the original recipe, at Sylvain's, someone had said that this recipe would go well with white meat. It was true!
I had 250 ml of sauce left, and I added the juice of a nice orange and a lеmоn, for good measure, as I had a nice amount of fennel and carrots.
This is a recipe made on the spur of the moment, with what I had on hand. I had been craving braised fennel for a few days, but had never made it before. While looking for some recipes on the net, I found Annie's recipe, which gave me the idea to cook pieces of chicken at the same time, for a complete dish. And thanks to this, I discovered her blog, "Au four et au clavier", with Tahitian recipes, probably not very easy to make here, but which make you dream!
Fennel goes particularly well with other ingredients, and that's what makes this recipe work.
- Fennel and orange, the great classic with acidity and sugar
- Fennel and carrots, again with a sweetness to play with the fennel
- Fennel and saffron, because saffron goes with everything (yes, it does) and because these two tastes are both strong and subtle
- Fennel and carrots AND gіngеr, to spice up the dish a bit
- Fennel and olive oil because we are in the Mediterranean
Cooking chicken on vegetables
The risk is that the chicken will harden a little and that the cooking time will not be long enough to tenderise it. So I marinated my chicken for half an hour in lеЬеn (ribot/sour cream, etc) which breaks down the fibres and softens it.
It is better to brown the pieces quickly in a pan, to "close" the meat and simply give it more taste, but I didn't have time to do that.
Chicken on a bed of braised fennel and carrots, bitter orange juice, saffron and ginger sauce
- 400 gr Fennel
- 400 gr Carrot
- 600 gr Chicken
- 1 Cup Sesame seeds
For the chicken marinade
- 2 Tablespoon Leben (sour milk)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 clove Garlic
For the sauce
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 5 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 Orange
- 1 Lemon
- 1 pinch Saffron
- 1⁄2 Teaspoon Pomegranate molasses
- 1 knob Butter
- Cut the chicken breasts into large cubes.
- De-seed the
gаrlісclove and crush it.
- In a bowl, mix all the marinade ingredients well, add the chicken pieces, stir, cover and chill for two hours.
Preparation of the vegetables
- Peel the carrots and cut them into 1 to 2 cm pieces.
- Remove the wood from the fennel (the hard part at the base), and the sprigs to be used for decoration.
- Cut the fennel into medium-sized pieces.
Prepare the sauce
- Mix the orange juice with the lemon juice.
- Add the saffron
ріѕtіlѕ, and set aside, at least one hour.
- Brown the garlic in two tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan over low heat. The oil should not sizzle, and the garlic cloves should just brown.
- Set aside
Cooking meat and vegetables
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the hot pan
- Add the chicken pieces (without the marinade) and brown well 5 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Put in the fennel and carrot pieces.
- Braise them on high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining olive oil, sesame seeds, golden garlic, citrus juice mixture, molasses, a knob of butter and the chicken pieces.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Serve, garnished with the fennel sprigs finely chopped.