I continue my tour of Eastern recipes. Vorschmack is emblematic of Ashkenazi cuisine, but in reality it is eaten on tables throughout Mittel Europa and Russia. Its name, which simply means "aperitif", indicates a German origin, and the dish then spread to the East, with variations in recipe.
From Fried herring to Vorschmack
The earliest version of the recipe is said to be a kind of fried herring dish, originating in Prussia. It is well known that this poor country did not have a great kitchen. It is the Ashkenazim who make a preparation based on ріскlеԁ hеrrіngѕ in brine and chopped.
Hard-boiled eggs, onions and apple are added. There is a Finnish version that adds gherkins.
If you want to make it into a pâté, you add breadcrumbs soaked in water and vinegar to give it consistency.
Vorschmack can be served hot or cold
Depending on the method of preparation or personal taste, this recipe can be eaten cold, spread on bread or blinis, or hot.
There are even variations where the Vorschmack is au gratin. A real cold country dish!
My Moroccanized Vorschmack
In the absence of herring, I used anchovies marinated in oil (the version where the fish fillets are white, not the one where they are coloured, because the taste is too strong.
And I couldn't resist adding small cubes of preserved lemon to add a little bit of acidity to the recipe!
Vorschmack with anchovies
- 200 gr Oil anchovies
- 1⁄2 Green apple
- 1⁄2 Onion
- 1 Malossol
- 1⁄2 Preserved Lemon
- 10 cl Fresh cream or sour cream, or mixed with leben
- 1 teaspoon Honey mustard
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch Pepper
Preparing the salad
- Drain the anchovies well, and leave them in a colander for ten minutes, so that they give off as much oil as possible.
- Meanwhile, peel the apple and grate it (with the large holes of the grater).
- Cut the preserved lemon in half, put one half in the fridge. Remove
аll thе рulрto keep only the skin. Cut it into very small pieces.
- Chop the onion half very finely.
- Also cut the
malossolsinto very small cubes.
- Cut the anchovies into very small pieces too.
- Mix the honey mustard with the cream.
- Add salt and pepper.
Assembling and resting
- Cover the salad with the sauce and mix well. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Leave in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.